19 June, 2011

What language to program in?

My current challenge has been to sort through the myriad of available programming languages and game development tools to determine what to use for this.  I'm leaning towards the open source language of Python, though in reality I may need to wait until school begins before I start on the actual programming of the game.  In the mean time I will continue to flesh out the concepts so that I have as much as possible down before I get started on the hard part.

1 comment:

  1. First, you will need to make some proof of concept and technology demonstrator "games." These small programs will demonstrate the language's ability to accomplish what you desire, in addition to helping you flesh out your ideas and create a basic framework on which to build the final version.

    I highly recommend looking for a language that specializes in what you need it to do rather than looking at the language as a whole. You can't shop for a programming language the same way you shop for a family car. You shop for a programming language in much the same way you would shop for a weapon. The ultimate application is going to dictate whether you get a semi-automatic machine gun or a can of mace.

    Questions to ask: Is the language capable of running in the environment I want it to run in? Is the language capable of handing the number of floating point calculations my game could require? Does the language have a reputation for excelling at 3D games?

    Also, there are a bazillion things you'll need to figure out before you set out coding. I recommend a modulated code setup where making changes to one aspect of the game's code won't completely alter the way the rest of the game is coded. Properly divided and coded, modules can drastically improve the development process.

    Just some things to think about. I'll be subscribing to your blog now!

    ReplyDelete