22 June, 2011

Keep it simple, stupid

This is kind of a running theme in the Army.  If you have to explain it more than 3 times, which will happen anyway, it is too complex.  I'm finding that working with computers is no different.  Computers do exactly what they are instructed to do, nothing more, nothing less.  When trying to make them do something new and different,  they are particularly slow and stubborn.  And so I find myself wondering how to take this complex thought and communicate it to these machines in a way that they will comply.  There are a great many programs, and an even larger amount of ideas of what people want programs to do.  What I propose is nothing completely new and groundbreaking by any means, but doing it is proving to be a test of patience and determination.

I have had a few programming classes in which I have done well, and yet I find that I am completely unprepared.  This doesn't mean I'm giving up, it just means that I am going to have to take the long road in learning the art of programming.

Many sources say that program design is one of the most important things to do before creating a program and can make the actual programming much easier if done correctly.  So before I launch into making this huge project I think I will take a step back and learn a bit more of how to make a functional program.

1 comment:

  1. I hear that Code::Blocks is a good IDE to use. I've downloaded it pre-packaged with the GCC C/C++ compiler and I plan on trying to learn to use it soon. Could be fun.

    ReplyDelete