27 June, 2012

Intellectual property

So somewhat related to what I post here on this blog is a question of intellectual property.  I recently listened to an NPR interview entitled "When Patents Attack", and I realize now that virtually anything I do in regards to this game will technically encroach on someones patents.  The short version is that there are companies out there that hoard large amounts of patents, and then they do the equivalent of a mafia shakedown saying that they will sue unless you pay large amounts in licensing fees.  These companies do not use the patents, indeed many of the companies don't even have employees and probably consist of the lawyers doing the litigation.  It's clear to me that intellectual property laws need to be rewritten.  The thing that scares me the most is that if I am even moderately successful in this endeavor it is possible that one of these companies will come after me.  After all this game concept borrows heavily from many other games.

Also as you can see by having this blog public and sharing all of my ideas openly anyone could conceivably take all of these idea and make this game.  I personally wouldn't have a problem with that, and all I request is that you make me a part of it.  That being said though I don't see it really happening any time soon.

For those of you who are willing to take the time, please take some time to let the government know why and possibly how intellectual property law should be changed at Regulations.gov before July 25, 2012.  Let's make it so the little guy has a chance of making it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment