07 June, 2012

Game Networking

I have been reading up on what is necessary to do game networking, and yes there is a lot that goes into it.  In reading about the history of game networking I found that the evolution has changed based on the technology available at the time (you can read more about it here).  One interesting thing that I feel bears looking back into is what is known as a pure server/client set up.  Basically the game will exist on the server only, and clients act as a dumb terminal that only accepts inputs and displays game output.  I have already said that I would like this game to go on Onlive, and since the Onlive system essentially uses this concept already it would be very simple to take it one step further.  This means that there would only be one game being rendered, with players logging into this game and seeing it from their viewpoint.  It would be the same experience as playing on a LAN, which is something Onlive touts as being one of it's strengths.

So long story short, I will probably set up the game to run on this pure server paradigm.  Also I looked into the profit share on Onlive and it is a 60/40 split, which is a little higher than some of the other systems, but is understandable as they have server upkeep and bandwidth costs.  My goal would be to make it into the playpack, but we'll have to see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment