14 June, 2012

Idea for my Masters Project

So as many of you have seen over the course of the posts I have created over the last year, this project is not a small undertaking.  I have researched a lot of different game engines (set's of programming that one can build a game upon) such as Unity3D, Unreal, Cry Engine, C4 Engine, and a few open source ones as well.  The problem is that each one of these tools has their own little quirks that must be learned in order to make a game with them.  So the thought that I had was why not propose to the college the possibility of creating/finding an open source project that students could work on and add to for college credit.  This has been done successfully at other colleges with programs like UCOSP, and this is apparently a rousing success.  It gives students an opportunity to work on a real life project very similar to what they will experience in a job after college.  I find that combining teaching and as close to real life experience is one of the optimal learning environments for students, and it will give them a taste of what it will be like once they graduate.

Proposing this will need to be put into a well organized plan of action so that I can show the powers that be that not only will this be beneficial to students, but it will enhance the learning experience of the University and therefore make it more successful.  So along with making a game, I think that something I will attempt to work on is organizing and setting up such a program at UCCS.

No comments:

Post a Comment