21 August, 2011

Sound

This is a big one that luckily I have already learned a little about.  I have noticed that sound in many multiplayer games is really hard to take.  I think that this stems from sound effects being a part of so many events, everything from shooting a weapon to large explosions.  I know that the technology for good sound has been out for a long time, it is just the large amount of processing that goes into good sound effects that will be hard to balance out.  In many war games that I have played the sound effects create an annoying cacophony of noise that it is hard to take for a few minutes, let alone the hours and hours of time that is spent playing.  The other problem I find is that the sound effects drown out voice chat making communication difficult.

So what do I plan to do about this.  First of all I plan on making relatively quiet weaponry.  Since it is all going to be beam based and is fictional in nature anyway, I can make the sound however I see fit.  This will be true of most of the weaponry in the game, even mines or vehicle based weaponry.  I already have a pretty good idea of what I want the sound to be, which will be the initial discharge and a charge up period after.  Recharging will explain the slow rate of fire and is something that things like capacitors do in real life anyway.  I also plan to avoid any high pitched sound effects as I already suffer from tinnitus (ringing in the ears permanently) and I'm sure a lot of veterans out there do too.  Playing video games with high pitches can make this worse.  Structures will probably make no noise at all to cut down on processing when in bases.  For vehicles I think I will use a low hum so players will be able to know a vehicle is around, but not a whole lot more than that.  I'll have to look into this more as I get closer to that point in the creation process.

On another note I start school tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Have fun learning cool things! I'm a little jealous. ;)

    Related: I forget - have you read Ender's Game? If you haven't, I think you should. Soon. If you have but it's been a while, you may want to re-read it soon.

    Anyhow, have fun in school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Ender's Game a long time ago. I know that Orson Scott Card was working with a small game developer on creating a game based on the battle room utilizing the Unreal engine. Unfortunately that company was then absorbed by Epic who put the project on indefinite hold. Because Orson Scott Card still holds the intellectual property right for it I can only say that this game will be loosely based on that concept.

    ReplyDelete