18 August, 2011

Scout ability: identify

So I've been thinking about scouts and how to make them more integral in the game, especially for groups settings.  One way that I think will promote their use is that they will be able to identify and distinguish between materials out in the field.  I like to think of scouts as the most intelligent class as the have the hacking, so being able to tell whether a material is high or low quality makes sense.  I don't plan on having a different graphic for high or low quality metal, and I'm pretty sure that the cave system I'm going to set up is going to be a little disorienting as far as players being able to tell just how far from the surface they are.  This ability will mean that bringing a scout along for material gathering expedition will make a lot more sense than it did before.  Other players will not be able to identify materials until they have returned to the main base.  My wife has ponted out that there are people who are greedy and would withhold this information from other group members, so I think that I will have a group status message pop up for any material that enters the scouts backpack.  This won't be necessary for weapons and armor, just for the triblocks that the group happens to be mining.  So to recap a builder is necessary to "mine" the material and a scout is necessary to identify said material.  Soldiers just stand there and look tough, a very necessary part of the game too.

No comments:

Post a Comment