14 November, 2011

The long road

So I am coming to a realization that programming is an art that is easy to get the basics of and extremely difficult to master.  The amount of information that goes into games can be pretty overwhelming, and I now see why they have a very long list of names in the credits of high end titles.  It seems that there is a plethora of programs out there already, but the best programs are guarded very closely so no one can copy them.

I feel like programming is like cooking.  There are really a very large amount of flavor combinations that can be made, and through experimentation and a little luck one can find those combinations that make for very delicious food.  The problem that happens is that when someone learns of a simple combination that makes for great food, they make it a secret and try to capitalize on it by making it so they are the only ones who one can get this delicious food from.  I feel like the community of software creators are very proud of the products they have created and are not very interested in helping new programmers learn the art of code slinging.  This is not true of everyone who programs, but just read the average EULA for most programs to see wording to the effect of "Thou shalt not reproduce, reverse-engineer, decompile, or anything else that shows you how this product was made".  It's basically saying

When I embarked on this project I admit that I only had the viewpoint of the end user or consumer of video games.  Now that I have learned some of the processes that go into making them, and the lengths that some companies go to keep their "recipes" secret, I can see that this will be a longer process than I had originally thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment