12 October, 2011

Use case scenarios

So I've been learning to make a little game based on pong.  The amount of work that goes into making even a simple game is pretty mind blowing.  I think the best way to put it is that computers are incredibly dumb, and therefore programmers have to write out explicit instructions on how to react to every little thing that a player may do.  And so one exercise we are going through is to think of every possible way that a human interacts with a game write up what the system should do if a player does something.  These are called use cases, and every button or thing that someone can click on really needs to have something written up or the system doesn't know what to do and cries in a corner making everything stop.  It really is pretty mind boggling how we have programs and systems in the first place.  At any rate I'm going to start working on a monstrous document going through every menu and every possible key press that a player may decide to do while playing the game.

In other news I'm starting out in my C++ class on a program that allows a user to log in to a system and/or register for something.  I hope to have this be my starting out point for the main program, as the first thing players will do will be to log in.  I have until December to get it up and running.  I know it's not much, but it is a start.  I think that during winter break time I will also try to work on more artwork.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah... C++ is a nasty word in my head right now. I spent two and a half hours at a friend's house today getting a crash course in VERY basic C++. By the end I was clutching several lines of JavaScript code in one fist and sucking on the other one while whimpering in the corner. Unfortunately, JavaScript just can't do everything I want it to do.

    Have fun in your classes.

    ReplyDelete