17 June, 2013

Doing things wrong

So I've been enjoying a break from school ( I figure I should do that while I still have the chance) and in between I have been looking at tutorials for how to do a minecraft-like in Unity3D.  The particular video series I followed is by one Craig Perko and can be found at .
So what I have learned from this video is that I was going about creating my scene the wrong way.  I was creating a new mesh for every face that needed to get displayed, rather than making the faces all fit together into a larger mesh.  This would explain why it was performing so badly at my website http://apoidgames.web44.net/wedge.html, I had hundreds of very expensive meshes all trying to fit together.  Unfortunately building all of the faces into a single mesh is not quite so easy when using equilateral triangles for one of the planes.  Also unfortunately I am taking a class called computational geometry over the summer which will again take much of my time, so I will have to put this project on hold for now(again).  Anyway thanks Craig Perko for explaining how minecraft works a little more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment