24 January, 2012

Data structures

So to start off this semester of study I am focusing a bit more on data structures, as well as learning more about Java and C# with the XNA Game creation code.  Before diving off into coding I have realized that it is much more important to understand the principles of effective and efficient programming.  In talking with a mentor about my proposed landscape system he brought up a good point.  If I am trying to render thousands of objects that share similar characteristics, like the triblock, that making each one it's own unique object will take a long time to process and will eat up tons of memory.  So finding an effective way to represent all of the landscape can be rather difficult to do.  This reinforces the decision I made earlier to have indestructible landscape that can be built on, even though that removes the possibility of tunneling under enemy bases and defenses.  If the only blocks that can be placed and destroyed by players are the ones that they have gathered the resources for and taken the time to craft then the total amount of memory usage should be considerably smaller.  I hope that through the course of this semester I will be able to find what data structures will be most appropriate for everything that I wish to put into this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment